5 Things You Didn’t Know About Persian Rugs
Persian rugs are well-known for their intricate designs and beautiful colors. But there is more to these amazing flying carpets than meets the eye. In fact, Persian rugs are steeped in history and tradition, and there are many things about them that you may not know.
From the way they are made to the reasons why they are so popular, there is a lot to learn about Persian rugs. In this article, we will explore five things you didn’t know about Persian rugs. We hope you enjoy learning about these beautiful pieces of art!
1. Persian Rugs are Often Made of Wool: Wool is one of the oldest and most widely used materials in rug making. It is both strong and durable, making it the ideal material for Persian rugs. Wool is also very pliable and can be woven into intricate shapes and designs, meaning it allows weavers to create rug designs that feature unusual shapes and curves. Wool also absorbs dye very well, meaning that Persian rugs can be made in a huge range of colors. Not only that, but wool is also naturally flame resistant and has the ability to trap heat. This means that Persian rugs are able to keep your house warm even during the cold, winter months.
2. Persian Rugs Often Feature Floral or Geometric Patterns: Most Persian rugs feature one of two design elements: floral or geometric patterns. Floral designs are most common, and feature intricate or abstract designs of flowers and other plants. Geometric patterns are a bit less common, but are still quite popular. These designs feature unique forms and shapes which have been used for centuries to decorate Persian rugs. Geometric patterns draw attention to the skill of the weaver, as well as adding a modern twist to traditional Persian rugs.
3. Persian Rugs are Usually Made By Hand: Most Persian rugs are made by hand, meaning they are crafted with great care and attention to detail. Hand-woven rugs can take months, or even years, to complete, as the weaver must carefully weave thousands of individual knots to create the intricate designs and patterns. Handmade Persian rugs are highly valued, not only because of their beauty and skill of the weaver, but also because they are able to better resist wear and tear than synthetic machine-made rugs.
4. Persian Rugs Can Be Expensive: Because of the amount of skill, effort and time that is required to create Persian rugs, they can be quite expensive. The cost also depends on the size, quality, material and design of the rug. Some Persian rugs can cost thousands of pounds. That being said, there are also cheaper Persian rugs available, so it is possible to find one that fits your budget. buying second hand Persian rugs on Ebay or other auction sites can be rewarding.
5. Persian Rugs Can Last for Centuries: One of the great things about Persian rugs is that, if cared for properly, they can last for centuries. The quality materials used, as well as the expert craftsmanship, mean that these rugs are designed to withstand heavy use and last through the ages. This means that Persian rugs can become a family heirloom, passed down through generations. This also makes them a great investment, as they are sure to appreciate in value over time. If you have a Persian rug and would like it cleaned by a Liverpool Rug Cleaner like us then give us a call.
Conclusion: Persian rugs are works of art, steeped in history, tradition and craftsmanship. Originally and exclusively from Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, India, China and also the Caucasus there is more to these rugs than many people realize, from the materials used to make them to the expert skill required to craft them. We hope that this article has given you a better understanding of the amazing features of Persian rugs and has given you a newfound appreciation for these wonderful pieces of art. All rugs need a freshen up from time to time, if you live in the Merseyside are a and need a rug cleaning in Liverpool then give us a call, we’ll be out in no time and your rug will look as good as new again.