Anyone who’s ever walked into a room with a powerful synthetic air freshener can attest, not all air fresheners are created equal. In fact, many air fresheners on the market today are made with synthetic chemicals that can be harmful to your health.
So, what’s the alternative?
Luckily, there are a number of natural air fresheners that you can make at home with a few simple ingredients. Not only are these air fresheners better for your health, but they also work just as well (if not better) than their synthetic counterparts.
Why use natural air fresheners?
1. Health benefits Synthetic air fresheners often contain chemicals that can be harmful to human health. These chemicals can cause headaches, respiratory problems, and even cancer in some cases. Natural air fresheners, on the other hand, are made with ingredients that are safe for your health and won’t cause any adverse reactions.
2. Eco-friendly Most synthetic air fresheners come in aerosol spray cans which are harmful to the environment. These cans contain propellants and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that can harm the ozone layer and contribute to air pollution. Natural air fresheners are a green alternative that can help reduce your carbon footprint.
3. Cost-effective Natural air fresheners are cost-effective and easy to make. All you need are a few simple ingredients, and you can create an air freshener that lasts for weeks.
This can help you save money in the long run as you won’t have to keep buying synthetic air fresheners that only last a few days.
How to make 2 different natural air fresheners
1. Lemon and Rosemary Air Freshener Ingredients: –
- 1 cup of water – 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary – 2 lemons, sliced – 1 tsp of vanilla extract Instructions
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool and then pour it into your diffuser.
- Enjoy the refreshing scent of lemon and rosemary in your home!
Lavender and Mint Air Freshener Ingredients: –
- 1 cup of water – 1/4 cup of vodka – 10 drops of lavender essential oil – 10 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Combine all ingredients in a small spray bottle, Shake well to combine, Spray the mixture throughout your home as needed for a fresh, clean scent.
Eucalyptus and Tea Tree Air Freshener Ingredients:
- 1 cup of water – 1 tsp of rubbing alcohol – 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil – 10 drops of tea tree essential oil.
- Combine all ingredients in a small spray bottle.
- Shake well to combine.
Spray the mixture throughout your home as needed for a refreshing and invigorating scent. Making your own natural air fresheners is a great way to keep your home smelling fresh while avoiding the harmful chemicals found in synthetic air fresheners. Try out these natural air freshener recipes and enjoy the benefits of a healthier and more eco-friendly home!
Some more popular essential oils for air fresheners include lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, lemon, and orange. You can also experiment and create your own unique scent combinations.
Another option for natural air fresheners is to use natural products that absorb odors. Some popular choices include baking soda, activated charcoal, and cedar chips. Place these items in small sachets or jars around your home to absorb any unpleasant odors. Lastly, don’t forget the power of fresh air! Open your windows regularly to let in fresh air and circulate it throughout your home. This is especially important during the warmer months when stagnant air can harbor airborne pollutants and allergens. With these simple steps, you can freshen up your home with natural, safe, and effective air fresheners.