Starting your own business can be a rewarding venture. We started Eco Steam way back in the mid-90s, and we came to the realisation way back then that homeowners and businesses were prioritising cleanliness within their areas. With the right equipment and knowledge, you can build a successful business. Why not enjoy the flexibility of being your own boss?
Eco steam clean are a Liverpool carpet cleaning business and allows me to provide you with nearly 30 years of experience, tips/tricks and shortcuts that would take you years to find out as a rookie! Whether you are a newbie or an experienced pro this blog post is worth a read.
Watch Us Clean Carpets
1. Research and Planning Begin by doing thorough research on the carpet cleaning industry in your area. Understanding the market and your competitors, this will help you identify the various opportunities that may be over-looked by competitors. Develop a business plan that outlines your:
- Main goals
Create a word-press website, Google is a code magnet and word-press is a coded algorithm website. As good as drop and drag websites maybe, they’re never going to rank higher than a well optimized word-press website.
- Market, pricing strategy
Check out all local carpet cleaning pricing in your local area and decide where you want to sit in that demographic.
- Marketing techniques
It goes without saying that if you don’t have a IT background then you’ll need to find a LOCAL SEO company to update your website. A reputable SEO company will provide:
- Regular blog posts
- Fix bugs and glitches
- Social media posting
- Obtain relevant backlinks
- Over-look Google search console
A well-thought-out plan at this early stage will serve as your roadmap to success. If you don’t do the above then unfortunately your business may be stuck on page 2 of Google!
2. Obtain the Necessary Equipment Invest in high-quality carpet cleaning equipment that suits your business needs. A professional carpet cleaning machine, whether that be a decent portable or if you have a few quid invest in a truck-mount. Other important equipment to invest in over time are (CRB) machines, this is number 2 on our most important purchases behind a truck-mount. Find out why you should agitate the carpet before cleaning. There are so many other variables to buy:
- Carpet cleaning wand
- Hand tool for Stairs
- Upholstery tool
You’ll also need a wet vacuum cleaner for emergencies, carpet cleaning products, and so much more…. Try opting for eco-friendly and safe cleaning products as they won’t damage any sofas or carpets, these products will also appeal to environmentally conscious customers. If you would like to find out how we make our own natural enzyme cleaners.
3. Training and Certification Be knowledgeable and skilled in all things cleaning, not only carpet cleaning! Consider getting certified by a recognized training program or an official accreditation body. This will give you credibility and extra assurance for your customers. Properly trained professionals are more likely to deliver exceptional results, leading to satisfied repeat clients and positive referrals.
- We’re BICs certified assessors and is the highest form of cleaning accreditation in the UK
- Carpet cleaning accreditations in the UK are NCCA
- US carpet cleaning accreditation IICRC
4. Legal and Licensing Requirements Ensure compliance with all legal and licensing requirements before starting your carpet cleaning business. Consult with local authorities or if you’re in the US consult with a business attorney who can guide you through the legalities involved in setting up a carpet cleaning business.
- DBS checked
A DBS check will come in handy for UK carpet cleaning companies, this license will show commercial clients that you and your staff are safe around minors, some commercial clients like schools, nurseries or elderly homes where there may be vulnerable people will almost certainly ask for this.
Whether you’re a sole trader or a Limited company you should obtain a DBS license and also liability insurance to protect yourself and your clients.
5. Establishing a Brand Creating a strong brand identity will help you stand out in a competitive market. Choose a memorable business name and create a great that represents you and your business. We created Eco-steam clean in 1996, this was before eco-friendly awareness was a thing, back then eco-friendliness was considered alternative thinking and generally thought of as wishy-washy cleaning methods, fast forward 28 years and now every house-hold is implementing some sort of eco friendly cleaning methods.
Try to think 10-15 years ahead when choosing a business name.
- Being carbon neutral
- 15 Minute Cities
Are just a few ideas for you to mull over.
6. Exceptional Customer Service Delivering superior customer service is paramount for building a successful carpet cleaning business. Be prompt, professional, and courteous in your interactions with clients. Provide clear communication, accurate price estimates, and thorough information on your cleaning processes and techniques. This will help establish trust and credibility, leading to repeat business and glowing reviews.
Several years back, we realized written online reviews on Google, Facebook, and Yell were too commonplace. Every business had them, and they were pretty generic. To stand out, we began encouraging our customers to create quick, 10-second video testimonials instead.
This game changer transformed our business, and we’ve only moved forward. Dare to ask your clients for feedback; if you’ve exceeded expectations, they’ll reciprocate. It’s a win-win situation. Check out some of the video reviews that have consistently secured us repeat customers.
8. Pricing and Profitability Determine your pricing structure based on market research, the quality of your services, and your overhead costs. Consider offering packages or discounts to encourage repeat business. Ensure that your pricing allows for a reasonable profit margin while remaining competitive in the market. We use a price calculator and our customers love it! It’s fully transparent and you customers know exactly what they’re paying for before they call you! Have a look at our pricing page, it’s easy to use and has a built in discount.
9. Ongoing Professional Development Stay up-to-date with industry trends, new cleaning techniques, and the latest equipment. Attend workshops and industry conferences to expand your knowledge and skills. Join forums like:
These two forums will be invaluable to any carpet cleaner, you can go on these websites and ask the carpet cleaning community for solutions to almost any carpet cleaning related problem. Or perhaps you have a truck-mount and you need assistance repairing or replacing your machine, GP Cleaners in Gloucestershire are fantastic, Ian, Roman and the lads will fix any truck-mount.
So, starting your own carpet cleaning business will require careful planning, dedication, and a commitment to providing excellent service. By following some of these steps, you can establish a reputable and successful carpet cleaning business for many years, thank you for reading our blog.