While scented candles may make your home smell nice, they can also be dangerous to your health. Candles are made of wax, which is a petroleum product. When burned, candles release chemicals into the air, including toluene, benzene, and formaldehyde. These chemicals have been linked to cancer, asthma, and other respiratory problems.
What’s more, candles are often made with synthetic fragrances, which can be even more harmful to your health. Synthetic fragrances are made of chemicals that have been linked to hormone disruption, allergies, and even cancer. If you need the smell of smoke taken out of your carpet or sofa get in touch with our upholstery cleaners
The Dark Side Of Scented Candles: The Toxic Chemicals You Never Knew About
Scented candles are often used to create a pleasant ambiance or to mask unpleasant odors. However, what many people don’t know is that these candles can actually be quite harmful to your health. This is because most scented candles contain toxic chemicals that can be released into the air when the candle is burned.
Lets take a look at the darker side of scented candles and the toxic chemicals you never knew were present in them. We will also discuss some safer alternatives to scented candles that you can use to enjoy the same benefits without putting your health at risk.
Toxic Chemicals in Scented Candles
1. Paraffin Wax: Most scented candles are made from paraffin wax, which is derived from petroleum. When burned, paraffin releases toxic chemicals like benzene and toluene into the air, which can cause respiratory problems and even cancer.
2. Lead: Until recently, many scented candles were made with lead-core wicks. When burned, the lead in the wick would release lead into the air, which is toxic and can cause brain damage.
3. Synthetic Fragrances: Most scented candles are fragranced with synthetic fragrances, which can contain phthalates. Phthalates are endocrine disruptors that can cause hormonal imbalances and other health problems.
4. Dyes: Many scented candles are colored with synthetic dyes that can release harmful chemicals when burned.
Healthy alternatives to Scented Candles
1. Beeswax Candles: Beeswax candles are a natural and non-toxic alternative to scented candles. They are made from beeswax, which is non-toxic and emits a natural honey scent when burned.
2. Soy Candles: Soy candles are another natural alternative to scented candles. They are made from soy wax, which is non-toxic and biodegradable.
3. Essential Oil Diffusers: Essential oil diffusers are a great way to enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy without the harmful chemicals. They use only pure essential oils and water to create a natural and non-toxic fragrance. In conclusion, scented candles may seem harmless and even beneficial, but they can actually be quite harmful to your health. By switching to natural alternatives like beeswax or soy candles, or using essential oil diffusers, you can enjoy the benefits of fragrance without putting your health at risk.
Additionally, consider using other natural methods to freshen your home’s scent, such as opening windows for fresh air, using natural air purifiers like plants or salt lamps, or boiling citrus fruits and herbs on the stove. By making small changes in the scents you choose to bring into your home, you can prioritize your health while still enjoying a pleasant environment. If you ever spill any candle wax on your carpets Eco who are Liverpool carpet cleaners can help you remove the wax.